Imagine my surprise when doing a routine check under the car and van at Midge point and discovered that the shock absorber needed repair. Not only had it spat off it’s somewhat aged locknut and rubber, but had also popped out of its position!! What you see in the pic below is what I saw upon inspection, Holy crap!
After placing my eyeballs back into my head, I realised it had managed to even rub against the tyre intermittently; the wall of the tyre illustrated this. What a shockee (pardon the pun) I got, at this point I thanked the universe, my lucky stars and of course the ole girl herself in the lil red rover. Even the shock absorber itself showed the battle scars, the line you see on the yellow is quite a deep metal on metal grind. It’s about at this point I realised although Land Rovers don’t have the best rep ours sure was made of the right stuff. As our mate Stevo pointed out just prior to leaving, an old Land Rover ad campaign was ‘Get bigger nuts, get a Land Rover’; when it comes to our rover, pretty sure it has some big cahonas!
So what to do I thought to myself, not in a position to get it professionally fixed to the tune of a quoted $600 that also couldn’t be done for several days, I scratched my head and on with the job. First examined the shock itself, ensuring it still functioned alright despite the scar up its side, tick! worked a charm. Now all I needed was a new Locknut and some shockee rubbers; genuine ones were going to cost $50 and again a wait of several days for them to be sent out. Weighing it up, I decided to take a trip to the closest discount auto part shop which yielded the locknuts I needed and I ran with a some harder compound rubbers designed for another more popular make of car. Everything went back together just fine, so well I redid the other side at the same time.